Michael’s golf career started in his hometown of Aberystwyth on the West Coast of Wales. Here he learnt the game under the watchful eye of his father Bill. As a junior golfer he was very successful and went on to represent both Wales and the United Kingdom at international level.
Michael’s early success had drawn the attention of the highly acclaimed United States International University, based in San Diego, California, who offered him a four year golf scholarship.
After college Michael set out on his own playing career. After winning a number of mini-tour events worldwide his playing career was cut short by a wrist injury that still bothers him to this day!
After this, Michael’s passion for golf gradually shifted from playing golf to teaching. From 1998 to 2008, he was the Lead Golf Coach at the prestigious Torrey Pines Golf Course in La Jolla, California. As a coach, Michael achieved considerable success by teaching more than 20 PGA Professionals, including: John Daly, Rich Beem, Pat Perez, Phillip Price, Ian Leggett, Todd Fischer, and Jason Gore.
• In 2011, Michael was invited to the position of Teaching Director at Quantum Golf Academy in Shenzhen, China. (His first experience of teaching in China)
• In 2012, Michael became Elite Coach and Coaches’ Trainer at the Mission Hills Golf Academies in both Dongguan and Shenzhen.
• In 2014, Michael created his own branded Michael Owen Golf School at the Mission Hills Resort in Haikou.
• In 2016, Michael returned to the Mission Hills Dongguan where his Michael Owen Golf brand is under the Golf Academies umbrella.
• Michael is one of the few professional coaches who is a member of both the PGA of America and the PGA of Great Britain and Ireland, the two premier PGA associations in the world.
• In addition, Michael has a top accreditation from Golf Mind which is Europe’s leading golf psychology program. Thus making him a PGA Certified Golf Psychology Coach.
• Michael has been teaching on the PGA and European PGA Tours since 2002 and still teaches PGA players.